Sunday, January 14, 2024

The Sun - Scholarship Essay Feb 2017

 

Roseann Pascale – rapascale@gmail.com

 

I wish to attend the Sun’s writing retreat because I seek to grow as a writer and to contribute to the dominant discourse of society, both locally and globally. I look forward to learning from others who are dedicated to the craft of writing, and in sharing our experience of being human. I believe as we share our stories, we come to know ourselves in the reflection of others.

 

The current state of mass journalism is at best, troublesome. The Sun is an important voice in countering what are often shallow representations of humanity, through meaningful, rich and restorative stories that illustrate the complexities of being human.

 

I come to this opportunity, as a mature woman who is dusting off her pen. I wrote my first existential poetry at 9 years of age, having been influenced by the novel “Jonathan Livingston Seagull”, by Richard Bach. The theme of the book, and the poetry it inspired, set the stage for a lifetime of introspection.  The seeds of inquiry were planted, and a desire to understand the meaning of life took root. 

 

I continued to journal and write poetry as a young adult. While studying filmmaking as an undergrad, I took part in a screenwriting course. I clearly remember a moment of reflection, where I concluded that as a young woman, I did not yet know enough about life to write anything of consequence.  I assured myself that when I knew what I had to say, I would say it – in writing. That time has come.

 

As is often true for many of us, life’s journey into adulthood brought obligations and responsibilities. Career and domesticity took precedence over creative endeavors. During the first half of my life, I worked as a television producer. I also married, divorced, and raised two children as a single mother.

 

In 2009, disillusioned by the vapid content of the programs I was producing, I left the television industry and embarked on a new career. I returned to graduate school to become a counselor and therapist. My guiding mantra at the time was, “I want who I am, to be what I do”.  I continue to refine and pursue a congruent sense of self, which includes honoring the writer in me.

 

Now that my children are grown, much of the responsibility associated with being a caregiver is behind me. As I find my way in this new and unfamiliar territory, I feel I am being reintroduced to myself, both as a woman, and as a writer.

 

The following poem was born of this experience:

 

Digging.

Through the mud.

The layers of silt –of guilt.

 

Through decades,

I fell.

Free falling.

Life’s calling,

Mother!

 

Circling back around.

Unfamiliar,

Yet known ground.

 

Like a vague, distant song.

Once sung.

The melody rising up

From this buried, dusty instrument.

 

A song so familiar,

Yet nearly forgotten.

 

I am listening.

I am quiet.

I am writing.

I am found.

 

My writing centers around my experience of life and my interpretation of the world around us. I am politically active and seek to add to the communal conversation, a purpose I believe is aligned with the editorial mission of The Sun.

 

As a result of leaving the known and stepping into uncertainty, I have had to endure financial challenges. I continue to be the primary support for my youngest daughter and myself, and work as a freelance writer, editor and per diem therapist. Many things are out of reach for me due to financial constraints, but I trust that this is part of the process of change and growth.

 

My path as a writer has led me to this opportunity. I would be honored to be among the writers attending the Wildacres retreat. I look forward to developing my craft, contributing to the magazine, and building community with others who share the same vision.

 

I would be grateful to receive a scholarship to attend the workshop.

 

Roseann Pascale

954-258-6045

rapascale@gmail.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment